Strava Feed

Saturday 5 July 2014

What to eat before a race?

When I was younger this question was not a problem as I seemed to get away with eating anything at anytime.  Well with in reason.  Obviously a large meal before running is out of the question but I often used to run on empty. Since coming back into running I find it more of an issue. I have felt really hungry on the start line in some races and on others felt sick because I had eaten a sandwich before the race.  Morning races are fine.  A good breakfast including porridge, nuts, dried fruit and toast a few hours before the race and then a banana about an hour before the start.  However races that start at 7.30 pm like the off road 5 miler I did this week or a 3pm Cross Country race in the winter is more problematic.  This week I really thought about it.  I had scrambled eggs on a half toasted bagel and asparagus got lunch at 1pm and then a large home made scone with jam at about 4pm.  This worked a treat.  I was not hungry before the race and did not feel as if I had a lump in my stomach either. I no need to work out what to eat before the Cross Country season starts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.